first of many
(poor Mag has had a runny red nose for a while – new teeth?)
I made a Wallaby!
Pattern: The Wonderful Wallaby by Cottage Creations (purchased here). I made size 2, or Wanda Wallaby.
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino Wool, color 208 (burgandy)
Needles: US 5 for ribbings, US 7 for body and hood and pocket. Circulars and dpns of the bamboo variety.
Started: February 1, 2007
Finished: February 8, 2007
Guage: Yeesh. I had so many different guages, but I generally had about 10 sts/2″.
The thing to do with this Wallaby, or any knitting pattern ever written actually, is to figure out how wide the finished garment is going to be. I did not do it for Maggie’s Wallaby, but you bet your buttons I have already done it for Jerry’s.
I figured that since I was knitting the size 2, and Maggie isn’t even a year old yet that it would be fine. It is fine actually, but the sweater is definitely smaller than I thought it would be. This is in part because I was knitting at a wee bit tighter guage than the pattern says. Oops. My bad. But also, I don’t think the sizes in the pattern really fit for the age that is given.
For example. For Jerry’s sweater I wanted to figure out how wide the body would be if I knit at the correct guage. It’s simple really. I just divided the total number of body stitches (after increasing) by the guage and came up with how many inches wide the sweater would be (the circumference). The width for the size 6 sweater is about 13.7″. The width for the size 8 sweater is about 15″.
Since the pirate sweater that I just made for Jerry is about 14″ wide (28″ circumference) and fits him perfectly, I figure that I need to make the size 8 Wallaby. Warren Wallaby. Roomy enough to fit for a while. I never would have thought I’d be making Jerry a size 8 sweater, but there you have it! And he’s not even five years old yet.
Needless to say, I was a little flummoxed when I realized how small Maggie’s sweater turned out (I say that like I wasn’t even there during the knitting!). I guess it was just a lazy thing. If I had gone up to the next needle size, I would have been fine, but of course I didn’t have the next needle size. So I just kept on knitting and knitting knowing it would come out “smaller” I just didn’t realize how much smaller.
Anywhoo. I’ve learned. It just takes a few minutes to pull out the old calculator and measuring tape and do the math. Measure the guage. Measure something that fits her (or herself, be that as it may). Don’t be lazy.
Oh, and it was a blast to knit! The pouch, the hood, the placket. A blast. In fact, I’ve just cast on for Jerry’s. Instead of a Wallaby, though, this one is going to be a Wallasaurus. You’ll see.