Not an unvention, but a pretty good idea.
I was working on the Jerry’s pirate sweater this morning. I was getting really close to the point where EZ says something like, once you have finished 10 rows of this… and since my guage and size and everything are different I knew I had some extra thinking to do. Ten rows on this sweater does not equal ten rows on EZ’s sweater.
I pulled out my notebook and a pencil and made some fuzzy calculations. At one point my calculations told me there would be about 40 stitches for the neck opening. Knowing what I know about Jerry’s head, this sounded grim indeed.
My head was dizzy trying to figure how I was going to make the neck big enough for my Jerry’s head while keeping the integrity of the design intact.
And here comes the great idea. It wasn’t my idea. Nor was I unventing something. In fact, this solution probably happens hundreds of times a day in the homes of knitters everywhere. “Of course,” I said. “I’ll just have him try it on.”
I used some scrap yarn to hold the stitches, removed the needle, and put it over Jerry’s head. I was delighted to find that things were coming together very nicely. I did some figuring in my head, got those stitches back on the needles, and soldiered on.
Let me just say, I’ve finished knitting the sweater and it fits over his head! Whatever I did, it worked. I did not call anyone on the telephone to report the good news, but I was tempted.
So the knitting is finished, but the pirate sweater still requires at least a few more hours of my attention. There are ends to weave in, hems to sew down, and holes to eliminate (most notably, the underarm holes). I look forward to two faves coming on the boob tube tonight, Prison Break and Heroes, to give me some good quality finishing time. Hopefully by tomorrow night I’ll be all done so I can give my full attention to my absolute favorite: VERONICA MARS.