new haircut – new sweater
I finished Jerry’s Boy Sweater.
It was hot out and I made him go outside on the porch for pictures. He was not pleased, but obliged after the promise of candy.
Pattern: Roughly the raglan style from this book, but I like to think of it as my own design.
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Cotton (100% Cotton) – 7 balls: Sea #402; 2 balls: Wintergreen #302
Neeldes: US 3 for ribbing, US 5 for body/sleeves, aluminum circulars for body and bamboo DPNs for sleeves (before joining).
Start: July 2, 2006 (knitting began on the 2nd, but planning and swatching had begun much earlier)
Finish: August 1, 2006
Lots to say about this sweater.
I had this ongoing love-hate relationship with the whole process. First I love the yarn. Then I hate the yarn. Next I love the pattern. Then the pattern is crap. The cables look fantastic. Then the cables are all wrong. Finally on Saturday, with aching hands, I pulled myself together and decided to finish.
The hands were achey from the yarn, I suppose. I love how this particular cotton knits up, but I will have to seriously consider another project with this yarn. I DO NOT LIKE COTTON.* Also, I have a problem with rowing out (kind of explained here, with pic) and to compensate I was trying to purl really tightly. The rowing out wasn’t a problem until I started working back & forth for the zipper area. But I swear that top third took forever. Additionally, I don’t think that the rowing out would be such a problem using wool, or somthing more elastic. I have only recently discovered this rowing out, so I will have to see what happens with my next woolly project.
I knit the collar three times. My original idea was to make it a stand up collar. So I knit about 2.5 inches of ribbing and bound off. Very tightly. I should have expected and avoided this. Anyway, I ripped it back and cast off very loosely. Still the neck was so tiny. I had decided at the beginning (during the very first collar go around) to decrease my K2 P2 rib to a K2 P1 rib. I have no idea why I thought this might have been good . I was trying to be clever. Beat the collar at it’s own game. Who knows.
Anyway the more and more times I knit it, the yarn was getting rattier and rattier. I was getting highly frustrated. A regular crew neck collar isn’t so bad, is it? NO!! Crew neck was a good plan. I finished it up this morning, a neat and tidy crew neck.
To be honest, and I think I should be, I have not blocked this sweater yet. I didn’t block my swatch either. I am completely flying by the seat of my pants here. I have no idea what will become of this thing once it hits water. So the cables are kinda bumpy, and I hope (but really have no idea) that they will behave better after a wash.
The zipper went in without a fuss. I fudged around with it for a few minutes, but then I soon got the hang of what should be done and I did it.
Sleeves are too long, but they look cute folded up once, so it’s no biggie.
The next sweater will be better.
Besides my hands being achey, there was another reason I wanted to get finished. I wanted to cast on the next big project.
It’s the Swallowtail Shawl, by Evelyn A. Clark from the new IK. I can’t believe how IN LOVE I am with that little blue marker. Even on just the fifth of many repeats of the chart, that little blue marker has saved my butt already.
Not sure how I’m feeling about LACE – it’s my first time!! – but I have a recipient in mind for this baby, so I’m gonna try to get my LACE on and finish. I think I’m getting into a groove. We’ll see.
*It is true that I prefer WOOL over COTTON, but I also just got my hands on Mason-Dixon Knitting and just this morning cast on for ball band dishcloth #2.